Re: Fume Hoods in Rad Labs

Dear Denny,

I am digging back into the cobwebs for this one, so bear with me:

The best manual for this type of stuff was a book called "Industrial
Ventilation."  I think it was published by the American Conference of Industrial
Hygienists (I recall it being brown in color, about 250 handlettered pages.)  It
was widely distributed, so a good technical library should have a copy.

Also, you might check out ANSI Z9.2-1979 (or later), "Fundamentals governing the
design and operation of local exhaust systems."

Several points:

1)  You may have to get a NESHAPS permit for your hood exhaust; you may have to
set up a monitoring point on the exhaust stack.

2)  You may want to install a HEPA scrubber filter in the hood intake plenum.  It
is more expensive as you will need a larger air mover and HEPA mounting cabinet.
The payback is that it will reduce deposition and plating on vent ducting; which
pays benefits when it comes time to decontaminate and decommission.

3)  While stainless steel seamless construction has always been touted as "easy
to decontaminate," my experience has been that it is rarely releasible after
several years of use.  You may be able to use a plastic or fiberglass hood;
realizing that it will be radwaste when you're done with it.  Herculite or
plastic covering (or decon paint) can be used to protect surfaces to keep
contamination and dose rates under control.  (It looks shabby, but it works
well).

Jim Barnes, CHP
RSO
Rockwell International, Rocketdyne Division