Re: ANSI N13.11; NVLAP; DOELAP

On 8/18/95, George Xu wrote:

>I even heard rumor saying the NVLAP and DOELAP would be combined.
>
>I would like to know more about what is going on ...

I'd like to take this opportunity to clarify the rumor that is circulating
concerning the combining of DOELAP and NVLAP.  It has long been a goal of
mine to see a single "national" standard implemented.  This goal appears
to be "just around the corner" for both extremity dosimetry and bioassay -
whole body dosimetry is another issue.  First we had ANSI N13.11 (1983)
which the NRC adopted but was not appropriate as written for the DOE, then
we had ANSI N13.11 (1993) which was again not appropriate for DOE and was
adopted by NRC/NVLAP only after specific changes were incorporated.  As of
the Boston meeting, ANSI N13.11 is being reconstituted.  The HPSSC and it's
new working group now have the opportunity to incorporate the needs of the
two regulatory agencies that implement accreditation through rulemaking
(DOE and NRC).  It is at this level (the underlying performance criteria) that
NVLAP and DOELAP are consolidating. NIST and DOE are also working on an
Interagency Agreement that will allow for the cross-recognition of onsite
inspections and performance testing data.  DOE facilities who utilize NVLAP
accredited commercial vendors would be able to have the vendor's NVLAP data
shared with DOELAP rather than repeating the performance testing and onsite
assessment of the vendor.

One must remember that NVLAP accredits the processor or vendor whereas DOELAP
accredits the DOE facilities dosimetry program.  While it is true that DOE
could
allow NVLAP to administer the current program, the overall cost of the program
would almost double due the overheads and other direct charges that are applied
to funds in their transfer from HQ -> Operations Offices -> Contractors ->
NIST (remember, NIST charges, DOELAP doesn't). There is no intention of
doing away
with DOELAP, only the effort to do away with the DOELAP Standard and adopt a
consistent national standard.

Robert M. Loesch
DOELAP Administrator
U.S. Department of Energy
Germantown, MD 20874
(301) 903-4443
Random number generation is too important a task
            to  be left to chance!