--------------------------------------
Date: 8/18/95 11:00 AM
To: GORDON MILLER
From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
I would strongly second the position of considering what the
materials to be used in the fume hood are BEFORE you lock in on a
specific ventilation configuration.  When you review the ACGIH
guidelines for ventilation systems, remember that generally the
main problem will be chemical fumes/corrosive vapors from
processing rather than the low levels of radionuclides!  Some
possible exceptions would be labeling with mCi quantities of I-125
or other halogenic radionuclides, where you also may need to worry
about license issues regarding reduction of potential releases to
the environment involving exhaust location (stack height),
possible in line charcoal filters, HEPA filters, etc.

I'm assuming, of course, that your labs would not require hot cell
precautions including the nuclear grade ventilation systems that
are required when processing multi-Ci quantities of radionuclides.

>The Dept of Radiological Health Sciences here at Colorado State U moved
>into a new building in 1989. We have had to repair our stainless steel
>"rad" hoods at least once a year since then. Stainless will not handle
>acid vapors, and if your campus will be involved in any anlyses where a
>tough matrix must be destroyed, you will need acids.
Michael P. Grissom
mikeg@slac.stanford.edu
Phone:  (415) 926-2346
Fax:    (415) 926-3030