??? Mass Atten Coef -Reply

Bruce Busby wrote in part wrt a source of attenuation coefficients:

>please post to radsafe or send to me. My best guess would be
>Hubbell's tables, but the latest I have is 1982. Anyone have better?

As Jerry Thomas mentioned, newer ain't necessarily better but a newer
list can be found in: ANSI/ANS 6.4-1985 "Guidelines on the nuclear
analysis and design of concrete radiation shielding for nuclear power
plants".

In the 80s the ANS had a working group designated ANS 6.4.3 to
generate, or compile, such things as attenuation and buildup factors.
Out of this came an ORNL document by D.K. Trubey:

ORNL/RSIC-49 (1988) "New Gamma ray Buildup factor data for point
kernal calculations: ANS 6.4.3 Standard Reference Data" This document
contains a fairly substantial tabulation of attenuation coefficients
in addition to buildup factors.

Jerry mentioned that the ORNL guys/gals should have the most up-to
date info. If you're interested, I'd contact the Radiation Shielding
Information Center (RSIC) at (615) 574 6176 or PDC@ORNL.GOV. It seems
they are on the web at http://epicws.epm.ornl.gov but I don't know if
useful info can be had there.

Our e-mail system is in a "work to rule" mode, a day late and a
message or two short. I hope this info is not redundant by the time
you get it.

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
Oak Ridge Associated Universities