Re: Therapeutic I-131 waste

Demetrios:

Your "problem" has already been "solved".

The straight poop is that excreta from individuals undergoing diagnosis or
therapy with radioactive materials may be disposed of in the sanitary sewer
per 10CFR20.2003(b).  (Patients should be instructed to flush two or three
times.)

And by the way, depending upon the condition of the patient's thyroid, most
of the I-131 may be excreted and does _not_ stay inside the patient.  Uptake
for patients being treated for thyroid cancer may be extremely low because
the thyroid may have already been surgically removed and any remaining
tissue is not function well due to the disease.