Re: ANS Listserver?

> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 09:50:03 -0500
> From: chatho@lanl.gov (Charles Thomas)
> Subject: Re: ANS Listserver?
> Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>

> >ANS is still working on coming into the 1990's.  There is a web page (not
> >quite as nice as Bruce Busby's) that is geared towards nuclear in
> >general.  URL is http://nuke.handheld.com
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >L. Bobek,
> >Director WPI Reactor
> >
> ANS has several list servers.  These are ANS-PIE, and ANS-BMD I am not sure
> of the current status of a third one ANS-EC
> To sign on send e-mail messaqge to listserv@nuke.westlab.com
> message "subscribe ANS-XXX <your name>" don't use the quotation marks
> replace XXX with PIE or BMD.  To subscribe to both send 2 subscribe messages.
>

> Charles (Tommy) Thomas

Note that "PIE" is for "Public Info and Education", and is now indicating that
ANS will support putting public correspondence and related discussions on it.
Some industry public info is being shared, though it has dropped off (like the
news summary from APS), and some general discussion of Public Info has
disappeared, and discussion of topics that are not ordained can result in the
list being branded a "bandit" group and discussions reverting to email between
the anointed individuals who are the fount of all wisdom.

"BMD" is the "Biology and Medicine Division", which is not active and talks
more about "governance" matters with about 20 subscribers, though some
discussion of action on changing policy on low level radiation health effects
is being discussed.

I will be seeking a discussion on that subject following the article in
Nuclear News and before the major sessions on the subject at the ANS San
Francisco meeting on Oct 31 and Nov 1 with about 2 dozen major participants,
including Dr.'s  Marvin Goldman, Bernard Cohen, Sohei Kondo and Sadao Hattori
from Japan, Don Luckey, Sheldon Wolff (UCSF) and Takashi Macinodan (UCLA),
Myron Pollycove as the Radiology Centennial Orator at at Tue evening dinner
(open to non-meeting attendees), Bob Thomas and Al Tschaesche as other HPS
luminaries.  Let me know if you want more info on the program, by email or
fax, or subscribe to ANS-BMD which can also be addressed to
"listserv@list.ans.org" as an alias.

I think most other ANS lists have been made "private" (unfortunately since
even though some communications need to be private, once a small group talks
only among themselves they do not participate as a driving force to an open
list, and the list dies and no longer brings inclusions to Members or to
support for those "privately" developed programs and ideas.

This may what's happened to the "EC" list, which was very active and still
exists, but has not been active for months.  Oh by the way, "EC" stands for
"Electronic Communications" :-)

Thanks.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide