Na-22

The institution I work for has a bit of a problem with some Na-22 waste
solution (aqueous, and possibly contaminated with organics and other
materials). There is about 10 liters of liquid. The Na-22 has an activity of
about 0.2 mCi.

Two approaches have been suggested :

1.  Concentrate the sodium, by precipitation or dialysis.
2.  Transform the Na-22  (a gamma emitter) into Na-24 (a beta emitter), by
neutron bombardment, or in a linear accelerator.

I am really doubtful whether either of these approaches would actually
solve our problem - which is disposal of the waste, and indeed doubt
whether the suggestions are technically feasible.

Can anyone comment ?  Alternative suggestions would be very welcome,
but I need good technical detail, or a reference to a source of technical
information.

Mark Hanlon,
Radiation Safety Officer
The New Children's Hospital,