Re: Strategic Special Nuclear Material

> Date sent:      Wed, 4 Oct 95 08:58:16 -0500
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           "Mcelrath Susan S." <MCELRATHS@rscpo1.wilm.ge.com>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        Strategic Special Nuclear Material

> Radsafers,
>
> In perusing the reg's for shipment of "strategic special nuclear
> material(SNM)" I see the category "SNM of low strategic significance."
> (10CFR70)
>
> My question: Since the "SNM of low strategic significance" category excludes
> shipments of less than fifteen grams of "strategic SNM," what classification
> is assigned to a shipment of "strategic SNM" that is less than fifteen
> grams?
>
> Is it just "strategic SNM" with no further classification? There is no
> "lower" classification in the reg's, yet neither is there an exemption for
> small amounts of "strategic SNM" according to the definition.

10CFR Part 71.53 indicates that <15 gram quantities are exempt from fissile
material controls, but not other parts of shipment regulations.  By
definition of low strategic significance in 70.4 and 73.2, <15 grams doesn't
get included in classification of strategic materials, regardless of
enrichment.

R. J. Cashwell
University of Wisconsin-Madison
141 Mechanical Engineering Building