CHP Code of Ethics

Dear Radsafe,

On Friday Joel Baumbaugh wrote (in part)

>     I'm  playing "devils advocate" here so please follow  "your"
>personal ethics and don't attack me personally....
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are many possible meanings of the phrase *personal ethics*.

1.  Does it mean YOUR rules about YOURSELF?  I don't think so

because if you were completely alone and never dealt with anyone

else you would not need ethics.  From whom would you steal?

2.  Does it mean YOUR rules about OTHERS, but we just DON"T TALK

about them?  I can't imagine a profession with 2000 slightly

different sets of rules.

3.  Does it mean just plain old ETHICS?  I hope so.

I hope the CHP code of ethics will be short, will apply to all, and

will be widely discussed and widely agreed upon.  I hope the Code

will be more about what to strive for, and what our public role is.

I hope it will NOT be about enforcement, and not pit US against

THEM.

Radsafe seems to be about talking things out and agreement about

right and wrong in both day to day matters and the big issues.  For

that reason I look forward to the CHP Code of Ethics discussion on

radsafe.

Thank you Joel for spurring me on to think this through.  I

appreciate your "devil's advocate technique."  I hope others respond

and criticize my attempt at philosophy.  I look forward to learning

about the benefits of a Code and discovering how we lived without

one.

Andrew Hodgdon
hodgdon@yankee.com

Standard disclaimer applies . . .