CHP Code of Ethics

          The latest version of the CHP Standards for Professional Conduct
          showed up in my mailbox on Friday.  I think you could safely
          substitute "CHP" with just about any other profession or title
          and they would be entirely applicable.  They are very basic,
          however, the area of real, potential, or apparent conflict of
          interest is likely to spark some interesting discussion.

          Just to warm things up, I'd like to throw out a "straw person"
          scenario.  ANY RESEMBLANCE TO PERSONS LIVING OR DECEASED IS
          PURELY COINCIDENTAL - THIS IS A FICTIONAL CASE!

          "As a well-known CHP, you are frequently called to serve as an
          expert witnness in radiation litigation cases.   An attorney for
          a plaintiff contacts you and asks for your assistance as an
          expert witness.  The agreement proposed is that contingent on a
          favorable verdict you would receive 10% of all monies awarded to
          the plaintiff.  Which of the following responses is appropriate:

          a.   Refuse the offer because it is in violation of the Standards
          for Professional Conduct for CHPs
          b.   Refuse and counter offer for an amount equal to half of the
          attorney's contingency fee
          c.   Accept the offer - it's a fair deal
          d.   Refuse the offer because it is unethical and counter to
          accept the work for an hourly rate or fixed fee."

          Based on your reading of the Standards for Professional Conduct
          are any of these four responses unethical?

          George J. Vargo
          gj_vargo@pnl.gov