No Subject

          Al Tschaeche wrote:

          "Date: 10 Oct 1995 08:46:08 MDT
          From: "ALDEN N TSCHAECHE" <XAT@inel.gov>
          Subject: Standards of Professional Responsibility - Another Case

          Nothing happens. No one has filed a complaint with the AAHP
          against the CHP. Nothing should happen unless some person files a
          complaint. No, unless the CHP enters into a relationship with one
          of them. Then, if I were the "other CHP", I would discuss the
          matter with the CHP and determine for myself what kind of a
          relationship we would have. If a complaint were brought before
          the AAHP, I think confidntiality by the AAHPshould still be in
          place. I would not be willing to take the NRC's word and
          certainly wouldn't believe anything I read or heard in the
          media. I wouldn't do anything.

          With respect to Les Slaback's latest note about the AIHA (I am
          also a member ofthe AIHA although not a CIH), I think someone
          must assist CHPs in keeping their agreement to abide by the
          Standards of Professional Responsibility -- if the CHPs agree to
          have them at all. Once the agreement is made, there is much
          benefit in having a system in place to assist those making the
          agreement to keep it.

          Unfortunately, we know that it is human nature not to keep
          agreements. If everyone kept all the agreements there are out
          there (laws, regulations, unspoken, etc., etc.), we wouldn't need
          lawyers, prisons, police, etc., etc.  But, we do need someone to
          assist us in keeping our agreements. That's what the AAHP can do
          if it wishes. I'm disappointed that the AIHA will not assist its
          CIHs in this matter. If the AAHP does it right, there shouldn't
          be much expence in providing the assistance."

          Response:

          Remember that the AIHA is to the CIH as the HPS is to the CHP.
          The AIHA does not certify, nor does the HPS - both are
          professional societies.  Yes, most CIHs are members of the AIHA,
          and most CHPs are members of the HPS.  It appears that the AIHA
          has changed its policy to act in the same manner as the HPS with
          respect to the enforcement of its code of ethics.  In neither
          case is membership in the professional society a prerequisite for
          certification.  The two should not be confused.

          Has the HPS ever taken action against a member for a violation of
          its Code of Ethics?

          George J Vargo
          gj_vargo@pnl.gov