Re: College Research Campus RSO's

John C White wrote:

> RADSAFers on College Campuses,
>   Has the issue of security of radioactive materials research laboratories
> ever been discussed or an issue on your campus?  How do you restrict, in
> policy, access to your laboratories?  What is the reality of the access?
> Do non-radioactive materials laboratories have the same policies?  If you wish
> to reply directly, email me at OHJCW@UTXDP.DP.UTEXAS.EDU

	I am replying directly to the list since I think this is an issue that merits general
discussion and input.

	Security of RAM has been a real big issue here.  Several years ago (now about 10) the NRC
noted in one of their inspections that RAM was not secure.  The finding was that they walked into
a laboratory and found 500 uCi of C-14 in a freezer.  No one was in the room at the time.  Thus
the violation.

	We handled the problem by requiring all PIs to either lock their rooms when someone was
not physically present, put a lock on the refrigerator, or put a lock box (secured to the shelf)
in the refrigerator/freezer.

	All researchers chose to have a lock put on the refrigerator.  I contacted the supplier
of the computer security pads (the ones that have a steel cable and two steel pads), asked if
they would modify the design (shorten the cable and change the mouting angle of one cable so that
the ends would intermesh).  The pads have a 3M sticky backing and will NOT come off.  The
scientists in our laboratories have been very happy with this solution and are very compliant.

	I think I can safely say that we are 100% compliant in this area.  I have had the
opportunity to inspect numerous laboratories on a "spot check" basis and have found no security
violations.  Our RSO and the Rad Safety Technologists include security issues in the annual
briefs and in the monthly laboratory inspections.

	Jerry Thomas
	CAPT, MSC, USN
	thomas@usuhsb.usuhs.mil