Re: 49CFR & 10CFR71 Changes

The major changes are

1) A1 and A2 values for most (approx 215 of 284) of the radionuclides will change.  New nuclides

will be added to the list.  Theres no general pattern to the changes in A1 and A2 - some

increase, some decrease.

2)  The definition for LSA has changed and there are new packaging requirements for LSA.  LSA

now has 5 categories (LSA-I, LSA-II, LSA-III, SCO-1, and SCO-2).  This category will need to

appear on the shipping papers and will be used to determine the type of package.  Three types of

packages have been introduce - they are Industrial Package 1 (IP-1), IP-2, and IP-3.  There are

design requirements for these packages (IP-1 is similar to and excepted package, and IP-3 is

similar to a type A package, with IP-2 inbetween).  You will need to keep testing results for

IP-2 and IP-3 packages.

3)  They are doing away with fissile class I, II, and III for fissile material.  Shipments will

be achieved with the addition of fissile material controlled shipments.

4)	Theres some new tests for spent fuel tanks and lightweight type B packages

5)  There will be design criteria for excepted packages (they are fairly generic).

You should probably call DOT and get a copy of the fianl rule.  The regulations are known as

docket HM-169A.