RE: Perspective on the NIH Incident

>From:	SMTP%"radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu" 13-OCT-1995 12:57:55.33
>From: VERNIG.PETER@FORUM.VA.GOV
>I too have speculated on what might have happened due to the
>rather incredible circumstances.  But we are all basing these specu-
>lations on mostly media reports and perhaps a few statements like the
>one NIH released and which was posted here.  We all should be abundantly
>aware of how poorly things usually get reported.

	Thats the rub. When Heraldo can sell the networks (and public)
	the idea that a coal bin is the undiscovered cache of Al Capone's
	filthy lucre, we are in deep trouble using logic against emption:

	Sceen:   Sally-jane-raphael-heraldo-the.gong.show
	Host:    Here is MS xxx, whose hair is falling out because she spilled
 		 hot coffee in her lap.
	Guest:	 Weep - Sob - moan - shed
	Audience: OOOOOOOOOh

	Folks this is what sells magazines and makes Oprah rich.

	Political knee-jerk reactions to the above result in more government
	bureaucracy. Ask anybody in Illinois and they'll tell you how channel
	7 news with their expose of "DANGEROUS X-RAY MACHINES" finally gave us
	the Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety. (rotsa-ruck)

	We really need to address these problems and soon, or we'll end up
	doing 99% paperwork for the FDA, OSHA, IDNS, etc and only 1% read work.

Frank R. Borger - Physicist     ___      "One third of the rats were improved
Michael Reese - U of Chicago   |___      on the experimental medication, one
Center for Radiation Therapy   | |_) _   third remained the same, and the
net: Frank@rover.uchicago.edu    | \|_)  other one third could not be repor-
ph: 312-791-8075 fa: 791-2517       |_)  ted on, because that rat got away."
                                         - Edwin Bidwell Wilson