neutron radiography

Dear RADSAFERS:

Please consider the following as a matter of urgency.
The thing I'm looking for is rather speculative.
I was thinking about gathering infos, ideas, or tips
on various methods (need not to be based directly on
ionizing radiation principles).

Question:  ..???

I would like to detect/localize pieces of wooden material inside of an iron
pipes/tubes filled with heavy water.

Pipe/tubes with inner diameter is 1.75" - 2.00".
Wall thickness approximatelly  0.25".

One of my ideas would be something in lines of
"neutron radiography" to take advantage of different neutron
scattering/absorption on deuterium in the D2O versus
on hydrogen in the wood.

The method should be simple to use in a complex industrial
environment with limited access to the area around the pipes,
considerable hazards of ambient gamma fields and/or contamination and
the main trick, I guess, would be to have the application available almost
immediately.
The method should yield in results with good resolution confirm the location
and
the size of the wooden piece.

If there is any feasible way, or hopefully, a service for
this task, or should anyone have anything to add on how
to deal with this, please e-mail me.
Thank you in advance.
Miroslav Lieskovsky

e-mail:
mirolies@nbnet.nb.ca

or

miroslav@mi.net

     Miroslav

PS. Standard disclaimers apply.
If I had an opinion, it sure wouldn't be mine... or my employer's!
Nazory nemusia v ziadnom pripade vyjadrovat postoj mojho zamestnavatela,
ba niekedy ani moje vlastne.
Miroslav Lieskovsky                               Health Physics Department
mirolies@nbnet.nb.ca                       Point Lepreau Generating Station
Phone  bus: (506) 659 2220 ext. 7421                    New Brunswick Power
Fax    bus: (506) 659 2003                             P.O. Box 10, Hwy 790
Phone  res: (506) 636 7629                                    Lepreau, N.B.
e-mail res: miroslav@mi.net                                 Canada, E0G 2H0