Neutron source-data needed -Reply

Jack:

Other radsafers will have the real story, in fact, you might know the
gory details yourself, but a couple of years ago the NRC informed
colleges and universities that it was going to charge a substantial
license fee for these types of sources. It was on the order of 16
thousand dollars per year, if I remember correctly. They backed off,
but there is no guarantee that they won't try something similar in
the future. The alternative, i.e. disposal, would be expensive. You'd
be between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

Don't get me wrong, I love neutron sources, especially 5 Ci AmBe
sources, but I'd think long and hard about this.

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education
framep@orau.gov