Re: A comment on our News Networks

Well, I may have mentioned my little story a while back,
but the broadcast media isn't the only news vehicle with
this problem:

There was an article published in the Washington Post
some years ago by one of their well known columnists (I
won't mention her name) regarding an issue that my office
dealt with.  Her article, of course, was based upon
"data" from an advocacy group.  The head of my office
wrote a rebuttal letter and provided data to demonstrate
the factual inaccuracies in the original column.  The letter
was addressed directly to the columnist, who wrote back that
she agreed there were many errors but didn't believe there
was any need for a rebuttal or clarification column (which
might, after all, impact her credibility...pardon MY editorial
comment!).

This stimulated the head of my office enough to call Mr.
Bradley, at the time the editor in chief of the WP, directly
on the matter.  Ben noted that it indeed appeared that Mary's
original column had true factual errors, but that the facts
were not sufficiently "newsworthy" to justify a correction
column.  Ben further admitted on the phone (don't bother
quoting me on this, I will deny everything!) that the WP had
an "unwritten" anti-nuclear anything editorial policy and
those were the types of stories that were, in their opinion,
"newsworthy".

He at least had the common decency to admit that the written
press (at least in this instance) intentionally steered the
"facts" (by at least not offering a contrary factual opinion)
to agree with their editorial policy!  But then, that is one
of the reasons we are taught in school to regard information
provided by the media [particularly with regards to editorial
columnists] with a critical eye.  This is not new "news" to
anyone in any country who has studied the role of the media
in providing information to the public-at-large. It is, in fact,
an element of "freedom of the press", and why such media are
highly susceptible to becoming organs of "propoganda" not just
limited to radiation issues or governments.

This does not mean there are not media personalities (printed
and broadcast) who are honest and who strive for accuracy in
reporting.  Their numbers, however, may not constitute a
majority of those in the business considering the economic
realities (what they perceive sells papers or commercial time)!

*Really*, just an opinion this time...

At 12:30 PM 10/18/95 -0500, you wrote:
>I have been following the thread on the news program and
>"deadly" plutonium.  Those that think we should try to
>flood the networks with mail don't understand one basic
>thing.  They have no interest in accuracy or honesty! ...
Michael P. Grissom
mikeg@slac.stanford.edu
Phone:  (415) 926-2346
Fax:    (415) 926-3030