Re[4]: linear hypothesis

     The dialogue is commendable, with many valid points being made. The
     unfortunate thing is that there is so little scientific knowledge and
     so much hypothesis with respect to linear threshold. Where do you draw
     the line, and is it the same line for everyone. Some are prone to
     effects at one value while others are affected at a different value. I
     only want to make a few points:

     1. It is absolutely ridiculous to expend huge sums of dollars to save
        a few mrem, or to prove that one didn't exceed that value.

     2. The NRC, in the current 10CFR20 has for all practical purposes,
        established a BRC .. with the 10% rule. In previous rules it was
        25% .. so, there has always been a deminimis value of sorts.
        Currently, if the DDE is expected to be less than 500 mrem in the
        current year, no monitoring is required. Surveys and ALARA is a
        must to ensure this value. The same holds true for internal dose.
        The NRC has also stated that no special actions need be taken,
        including not requiring training for individuals who will not
        exceed 100 mrem in a year.

     3. >>I don't think it is any stretch of imagination to say: "There is
        NO RISK at 5 rem per year for everyone." It's just the other side
        of the coin from saying THERE IS RISK at 5 rem per year. The ICRP
        and NCRP tell the truth when they say: "We DON'T KNOW if there is any
        risk at 5 rem per year." <<

        Very true. We don't know. And since we don't know, I believe that it
        would be foolish for we as health physicists to promote the notion that
        we do not need to be concerned with doses that are less than 5 rem/yr.
        We all have seen instances where science has been proven incorrect in
        its assumptions (your analogy is taken well) .. both in favor of and
        infavor against the popular belief. Now is not the time to go forth and
        say 5 rem/yr. is perfectly acceptable, at least not until we have some
        hard evidence, one way or the other.

     4. I also believe that until the scientific community, has defined by NCRP,
        ICRP and other esteemed organizations, state in writing that the current
        recommendations are unnecessary, that there will not be any substantial
        move to reduce the current level of protective requirements.

     5. Finally, when the NRC relaxed respiratory protection requirements,
        basing actions on a TEDE ALARA evaluation, the biggest obstacle was the
        worker's concern that we were hiding dose from them, that what we had
        taught over the many years was being eliminated only for the purposes of
        making the collective manrem go down and for saving dollars. If we
        increase the ALARA or BRC or whatever it is we want to call it, value up
        to as high a 5 rem/yr., I believe we would have a significant chore on
        our hands to convince the many workers in the field that this is in
        effect, OK, that they are actually just as safe as they were before.

     As a health physicist I would be happy to reduce O&M costs, and have a good
     conscience about it, in light of the continual restructuring we are all
     having to endure.

Sandy Perle
Supervisor Health Physics
Florida Power and Light Company