Re: 5 rem (50 mSv)/y as BRC Level

Joel --

I hate to say it, but your argument sounds suspiciously like those of the
tobacco companies -- ie there has never been a case of lung cancer 'proven'
to have been caused by cigarette smoking.  As for people in high background
areas, the results of studies attempting to link their higher exposure with
morbidity or early mortality have proven, by and large, inconclusive,
because of a number of factors including the small size of the populations
involved.  However, in the Kerala State of India, an increased incidence of
Down's syndrome and chromosome aberrations has been reported.  Similarly,
increased chromosome aberrations were observed in the Brazilian population
of Guarapari.  (Cf. BEIR V, pp. 383-385 for an excellen summary).

Finally, if a priori you conclude that 50 mSv (5 rem) annually is basically
risk free, then why even study populations or people exposed at or below
this level?

Ron