Re: Household radioactive materials?

>I am going to be giving a presentation next week on radioactive materials
>in the household.  Can people please give some examples of what can be
found?

Mr. Johnson -
Several common household items that are radioactive are 1) ionization-type
smoke detectors (Am-241), 2) KCl-style substitute for table salt (K-40 in the
KCl), 3) Fiestaware, which is distinct make of dinner plates and bowls known
for their bright glossy orange glazed surfaces (thorium and uranium), dental
crowns (uranium), and some LCD-display wristwatches (tritium). One item to
avoid: Coleman lantern mantles. They used to be made with thorium but now no
longer are made out of any radioactive materials.

Hope this info helps. Good luck in your presentation....
Steve Frey, MS, CHP,
Environmental Health & Safety Director
Andotek, Inc., Tustin, CA (800) 888-7008