Re: Surveillance of Buried Radioactive Waste

Mr. Lindstrom -

About two or three years ago, the NRC commissioned a site closure review
apparently to identify those licensees which shut down over the last 25 years
or so which might yet have residual radioactivity which the original license
termination surveys might have missed. My former employer, ICN
Pharmaceuticals, Inc., was approached by NRC Region I late last year
regarding residual soil contamination at a facility near Pittsburgh, PA which
ICN had purchased shortly before the facility was decommissioned a quarter
century ago. Could be that your organization is also being "requested" by the
NRC to deal with a similar historical issue under the same aegis.

Situation could get ugly, especially if opposing positions harden early on.
Suggest your campus attorney be contacted ASAP for advice as how to proceed.

Wishing you good fortune,
Steve Frey, MS, CHP