FOOD IRRADIATION AND THE PRESERVATION OF VIT. C -Reply

Kimberly(s) -- Kearfott and Kouba.

As I understand the process, food irradiation requires doses
of several megarads to be effective ... a wee bit impractical in
the classroom, I would think. I know of at least one (1)
commercial irradiator in Illinois ... Sterigenics, Inc. in
Shaumberg ... and I'm sure that there are others. There might
be a licensing issue involved ... primarily whether or not the
company is licensed to irradiate food products.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> Kimberlee Kearfott  11/06/95 11:22 >>>
Hi Radsafe, I got the following message over another
network. If anybody has any ideas, be sure to also mail them
to Kimberly Kouba at IHMSCIENCE@AOL.COM (who is
clearly not on our list and wouldn't otherwise see your