Re: FOOD IRRADIATION AND THE PRESERVATION OF VIT. C -Reply

This would depend on the radioactive material license.  If the
license says the source is for "calibration of survey instruments" or
"for irradiation of blood components" (a self-shielded blood
irradiator would be a good choice for this project; many blood banks
and some hospitals have them) then it would not be authorized under
the license.  If the license says "as authorized by the radiation
safety committee", then the RSC could authorize the project.  If it
says "for research and development", you just need to follow the
licensed procedures for authorizing the project (since this is a
research project).

Wes

> Date:          Mon, 6 Nov 95 13:11:17 -0600
> From:          welch@CEBAF.GOV (welch)
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Re: FOOD IRRADIATION  AND THE PRESERVATION OF VIT. C -Reply

> ...I'm not sure,
> but I don't think you have to have a specific license to put an orange in a
> Shepard calibrator for a science project, but I wouldn't swear to it.
>
> Keith Welch
> welch@cebaf.gov

Wesley M. Dunn, C.H.P., Administrator      512-834-6688
Licensing Branch                           512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us