Re: FOOD IRRADIATION AND THE PRESERVATION OF VIT. C -Reply

Wes brings up an interesting point about authorizations.  Is it
really necessary to authorize every protocol for an irradiator
that is authorized for R and D?  I wouldn't think so, but I would
certainly like to hear some discussion on this.

The protocol is not actually using a radioisotope, just the radiation
from it.  The licensee is already authorized to possess and use the
machine.  It would be a shame if helping a high school student learn
a little about radiation was prevented by making individuals trying
to help go through the authorization process.  The students paper
would probably end up being about the paper work necessary to do
science. ;)

Dale
dale@radpro.uchicago.edu