nuclear plants crash - Rio de Janeiro requesting

I originally tried to send the following directly, but the
email address was rejected by my server, hopefully the org-
anization is monitoring radsafe!
----------

You may want to get the following document:

"Preparation and Response in Radiation Accidents" by Bernard
Shlein, reprinted by:

    Nucleon Lectern Associates Inc.
    2919 Olney-Sandy Spring Road
    Suite D
    Olney, Maryland, USA 20832

It is based on US Department of Energy and other organizations'
experience/guidance.  They also have individualized pamphlets
for use by fire department personnel (in English, don't know
if they have any in Portuguese or not).

An excerpt from Appendix A-1, Standing Orders:  Police,
Sheriffs, and Firemen...

>Background
>
>All county, city, and village police and firefighting units,
>as well as sheriffs and deputies, are subject to being called
>in emergencies even though the emergency has not resulted in
>a fire.  Many accidents and other emergencies involve the use
>of more than one type of emergency response organization;
>therefore, a cooperative response is essential.  It is very
>important that firemen, who may be the first emergency
>personnel to arrive on the scene, be aware of what they should
>do and what they should not do about radiological emergencies.
>
>STANDING ORDERS
>
>(1)    If notified of an emergency (or a fire) involving the
>       presence of radioactive materials and/or x-ray
>       producing machines, immediately ascertain that police
>       units have been notified; then follow normal
>       procedures for fire emergencies.

Hope this will help.  There are many other sources and you
may want to see other countries Nuclear Generating Facility
emergency plans (which tend to be very specifically tailored
for particular facilities) for examples.  In the USA, many
(if not all) such facilities require specialized training for
firemen over and above what is typically taught at fire
academies [requirements established by the US Nuclear
Regulatory Commission, et al.].

S.,

MikeG.

>Date: Thu, 09 Nov 1995 11:51:52 -0600
>From: esfao@ax.ibase.org.br.gcg
>Subject: nuclear plants crash - Rio de Janeiro requesting
>Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>
>We are from the Rio de Janeiro Fire Department Academy and we need
>information (With most details as possible) about acidents in nuclear
>plants. We want to know about equipaments that can be used by Fire
>Department and Paramedics, tatics and everything we can use in the crash
>and civil defense (emergency management).
>
>We will use this information in the academy to teach the cadets how
>to work in this kind of crash, because we have in our state two
>nuclear plants (PWR kind).
>
>        []'s
>Corpo de Bombeiros Militar do Estado do Rio de Janeiro
>Escola de Formação e Aperfeiçoamento de Oficiais
>A/C: Roberto Robadey Costa Júnior - CAP BM
>Tel.: (021)714.9102, 714.8754, 711.0193. Fax.: 711.9440
Michael P. Grissom
mikeg@slac.stanford.edu
Phone:  (415) 926-2346
Fax:    (415) 926-3030