Re: shielding contaminants

(edited)

 Also there is a
>possibility to get commercially the shielding with very low background
>
>(from ships construction materials which drowned before I World War),
>but it is very expensive. Hope this will help.

(edited)

  I have to shield some
>> scintillation detectors from ambient background radiation, and want to
>>do it in

(edited)

I know that AECL research has a low background facility in Chalk River,
Ontario, Canada. They used concrete from a certain location, selected for
its low radioactive contents. I don't have more details, but maybe someone
from AECL can comment on this?

Colette Tremblay
Recherches en sciences de la vie et de la santé
Pavillon Charles-Eugène-Marchand
Université Laval Québec QC
Canada  G1K 7P4
Tél: (418)656-2893