RE: shielding contaminants

Daniel,

I can only relate my limited experience with invivo counting shields.  The
steel used was referred to as "pre-World War II," apparently because later
manufacturing processes employed the use of cobalt for depth
determination (post-fab).  Pre-WW II is expensive stuff.  The interior of the
chamber is somtimes lined with lead.  And if you use lead, you normally
have to use copper also to shield out the lead x-rays.

This is only my recollection (my coworkers get nervous when I say that :~]
).  You'd probably be better served by the folks running some invivo
counters (SRS, Los Alamos, Lawrence Livermore, Hanford (PNL))or by
shield and detector manufacturers (Canberra, EGG Ortec, and many
others)

Good Luck!

Michael Ford
Battelle Pantex
Amarillo, Texas
806.477.5727
mford@pantex.com
caveat lector:  From the stuff only MY thoughts are made of.
"Every man of genius is considerably helped by being dead." -- Robert S.
Lynd