Re: shielding contaminants

Dear Dr. Low,

I was always told to use pre-WWII battleship armor plate for low-level shielding
(there was no Cs-137 fallout contamination).  That was tens of years ago, so I
don't know if it is still available (It was sometimes hoarded by the more
"nuclear aware" scrap dealers, so you might still be able to find some).

You might want to take a look at using electronic methods to reduce your
background rates, however.  After a certain level of shielding, the use of an
anti-coincident detection circuit may serve you better (and be more cost
effective) than another inch or two of lead.  (See Knoll, "Radiation Detection
and Measurement; Second Edition", p. 643 and p. 730 for a discussion of the
principal).

Jim Barnes, CHP
RSO
Rockwell Aerospace; Rocketdyne Division