Re: "POLLUTION FREE"

Excuse me, but what about thermal pollution?  I don't know much about
nuclear power, but aren't large amounts of water needed for cooling
purposes with resulting elevation of temperature in the receiving
waters?  Temperature changes can cause population changes in various
organisms, from microbes on up.

      >      Well, how about >
>      No carbon dioxide, no NOx, no unburned hydrocarbons, no soot,
flyash,
>      acid rain, no smoke, no smog, no noise, negligible gaseous radioactive
>      releases, all solid radwaste is buried and secured from human contact
>      for 300 years.  Our liquid effluents have not been found to
>      concentrate significantly in the aquatic life in the rivers, lakes or
>      oceans.  Oh yes, what about that spent fuel?  While it is a problem,
>      it cannot be considered pollution.  If the public ever gets over its
>      unfounded fear of radiation (or something equally dramatic happens)
>      the spent fuel can be safely stored underground virtually
>      forever--still, no pollution.
> Subject: Re: Re[2]: Blue Ice & [I-131]
> Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at INTERNET
> Date:    11/29/95 11:05 AM
>

> Would you expand upon the concept of "pollution free", please?
>
> David F. Gilmore,
Assistant Professor of          0  0
Environmental Biology            __    "have a day"
Arkansas State University