How much Sr-90 in clip-on lights? -Reply

Albert --

I have one of the smaller ones on my bookshelf as a
"show-and-tell" item. USRC stands for "U.S. Radium
Corporation" ... does THAT give you any hint as to what
might be inside? (The one I have is indeed Ra-226)
Fortunately, the activities are relatively low ... and the one I
have in my office isn't leaking ... yet. We have not taken the
time or trouble to determine activity.

>>> Albert Lee Vest <avest@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
11/30/95 10:16 >>>
Like the subject says.  We recently found five of these in a
steel pig in a physics department lab.  Two are 1" diameter,
three are 2" diameter.  All are in sheet-metal cases, painted
black but deteriorating, and have the engravings "USRC" and
"Poison Inside."

[They don't say Sr-90, but the GM tells me it ain't tritium.]  In
order to dispose of them, I need to know how much activity is
probably contained in these items.  Please answer if you
can.

Albert Lee Vest           The Ohio State University
Health Physicist    Room 103 1314 Kinnear Road Bldg
(614)292-1284                     1314 Kinnear Road
avest@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu   Columbus OH 43212
My employer did not review or approve this message.