Re: ?NVLAP category V C

     This response is based on a 4 element TLD, 2 elements of LiBO and then
     2 elements using CaSO. The filtration is as follows, 7, 300, 300 and
     1000. The primary basis should still be true for LiF, that the
     Sr-90/Y-90 will penetrate even a 1000 mg/cm^2 filter, where the Tl-204
     will only penetrate a 7 mg/cm^2 filter. Therefore, if this is also
     true for a pure 3 or 4 element LiF TLD, with some appropriate
     filtration, the decision matrix is easy. If there is Sr-90, it can be
     seen on all the elements. If it is a Tl-204 exposure, it will only be
     seen on the 7 mg/cm^2 element, the others showing basically control
     background response. This is also true for Category VII, which we also
     test, and again, the mixture of Cs-137 with either Tl-204 or Sr-90 is
     quite evident.

     What you should be doing is to define the algorithm correction factors
     for specific exposures to either the Tl-204 or Sr-90. Once you
     dtermine the energy of the source, the correction factor will be
     accurate within a small % deviation from true exposure. There is no
     reason to be high on one and low on the other. Test and let the
     algorithm correct for your response of the dosimeter.

     If this basis is not true, then I'm sure someone else will jump in
     here, discussing the LiF response.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company