Low dose radiation, or ...

A little bit of what you fancy does you good.

I am surprised to be continually informed via radsafe that

small amounts of radiation are *probably* good for you.

I know radiation hormesis is a very attractive theory for

health physicists because it means that if we make a mistake

nobody is harmed.   I was there once.   I even got a copy of

the "Health Physics" issue devoted to radiation hormesis in

humans.   I would suggest that those who are saying small

amounts of radiation are *probably* good should read those

papers.   In my opinion the most that can be said is that

small doses may *possibly* be good for you.   And very few

people are going to run even a theoretical risk of cancer

on the strength of evidence like that.

Radiation hormesis is proven for simple systems like plants,

but when international agencies like the ICRP say that the

probability is that small doses do increase cancer & genetic

risks in humans,  then you need strong evidence to the contrary

to ignore that advice.

BTW,  with the inclusion of a dose & dose rate effectiveness

factor (DDREF) of two in the ICRP risk factors (ICRP 60, 1990),

it seems to me that they are no longer applying the LNT model

as such.   This indicates that they are no longer either:

1.  persisting with a discredited risk model;  or

2.  taking a conservative position in the presence of conflicting data.

HP's will have to decide for themselves which of the above

options applies.

Alex Mitchell

hospam@wnmeds.ac.nz