Radioactive Antiques

While shopping for additions to my Fiestware collection, I ran into a real
surprise which some of you might be interested in if you too are into
collecting radioactive antiques. A vendor specializing in old medical
equipment had a large white ceramic pot which was labelled "Radium Ore
Revigator, Patd 7-16-12". It was in nearly perfect condition, with only a
small crack in the lid. The printing on the jar included the following;
	The Radium Ore Revigator Co.
	Revigator Building
	San Francisco, CAL
	1. Fill jar every night
	2. Use hydrant or any good water
	3. Drink freely when thirsty and upon rising and retiring average six
	or more glasses daily
	Scrub with stiff brush and scald monthly.

	It's at times like these I wish I had a monitor with me,'when what to
my wondering eyes did appear', sitting right next to this jar was a Victoreen
CDV-700! And it was working! Accurate, probably not, but it responded to its
check source quite nicely. If the meter reading was accurate, the interior of
the jar was on the order of 30 mR/hr.
	If your interested in this piece of nostalgia, reminiscent of the
good old days when the general public actually went out and sought
radioactive material for its beneficial purposes,(Oh, but if we could only
convince them now that a little radioactivity might be good for you, but
things were simpler than, AND A HELL OF A LOT LESS REGULATED! (sorry, just
venting some frustration), the cost was $225.00. I would have bought it
myself, but Christmas always leaves me short on cash. By the way, the CDV-700
was only $90.00. A bargain even at twice the price!
	Anyway, I have the vendors business card and will pass the info on if
anyone wants it. You can reach me at the locations below. Happy Holidays!

Mark E. Linsley
Brookhaven National Laboratory
email: linsley@bnl.gov
phone: 516-282-3556