Re[2]: Coal vs. Nuclear -Reply

Paul,

You make a very interesting point here.  However, the doses being
purported as beneficial are low, chronic doses to the whole body.
These doses, it is believed actually exercise the cells' repair
mechanisms and make thme better able to detect and correct flaws than
their less-well exercised counterparts in other systems.

Doses from exposure to radon daughters can be fairly high (many rem
per year), chronic doses concentrated in pulmonary epitheliar cells.
In addition, the cancer causing effect of these concentrated doses is
well documented.

Still, you may have a point since some members of the public may be
exposed to dose from radon daughters which is in just the right range
to cause the repair mechanisms in their epithelia to be exercised and
may, in fact reduce certain kinds of lung cancers in select groups of
people.

On the third hand, since most people are already exposed to radon in
their homes and workplaces in a spectrum of doses ranging from the
beneficial to the harmful, any added radon from power production is
bound to push peoples radon doses up scale moving some who were in the
beneficial band into the harmful.

Does anyone have any more hands?  I've run out.

Paul Vitalis
byrpv@ccmail.ceco.com

P.S.  Paul, I'm still awaiting a response on the EPRI address you requested.

This type of argument is good if you believe, as I do,  that low doses
of radiation probably (not certainly) carry a risk.  If you believe,
as Al has stated he does, that low doses (and especially those from
radon which is what we are talking about here) are beneficial, then
this particular argument should be made in favor of coal. Not so?

Best wishes

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
ORISE