drill for oil, there wouldn't be any contaminated drill pipes. In any
case, the doses from those things are too low to worry about or to try
to control.  Let's not waste more resources on trivial doses.  Al. xat@inel.gov

*** Reply to note of 12/12/95 06:27

From: Carl Peterson
To: RADSAFE --INELMAIL RADSAFE

Subject: Background
Hi radsafe

Jeff Derge raised the question of natural background!

Does any government commission, department, or whatever have a mandate to
control regulate, monitor, etc. radiation backgrounds that are not caused
by human agencies.

And going beyond that, what would be the definition of a human agency?

This opens another can of worms, I think.

  Carl A. Peterson                          Schlumberger-Doll Research
  e-mail:Peterson@ridgefield.sdr.slb.com    Old Quarry Road
  Phone: (203)431-5272                      Ridgefield, CT  06877-4108
  Fax:   (203)438-3819