Re: High Altitiude Exposures

Wes, if you believe Dr. Luckey, 100 REM per year is the appropriate
hormetic value. Even I find that number to be somewhat beyond the pale.
But, my calculations based on his data come up with 70 rem per lifetime
as the hormetic value.

I hope we all realize that, even if the limit were 5 rem per year, not
many members of the public would get that much year after year. We can't
allow radioactive material all over the place. So there will have to be
limits for contamination that are based on hazard to THINGS, not people.
For example, no photographic film manufacturer would want his factory
and supplies contaminated with radioactive material. Neither would
computer chip makers, etc. So, the standards for release of contaminated
things probably will remain very close to what it is now. But - think of
the benefit if all the waste repository dose limits were 5 rem per year.
I can't believe the design of those repositories would be much different
than they are now. Anyone have any data on this?

The dose to airline personnel and passengers is so low that we shouldn't
even be talking about it on RADSAFE. For sure, we shouldn't be spending
any resources to measure or mitigate it. Has the radiation reading on
the Concorde ever caused one of those planes to do anything it wouldn't
otherwise have done?

The whole point of all of this is to have us focus on the doses that
really matter. Control of radioactive sources is vital, witness Juarez,
Goiania, etc. The radiograpy buisness, although apparently getting
better, is still where most of the accidental radiation exposure occurs.
And, dare I say it, medical exposure is creeping up. My wife, a couple
of years ago, got about 30 rem EDE from a 6 mev linac during breast
cancer therapy. She has had more medical exposure, unmeasured and
unrecorded (except by me), than I have occupationally. There is
something wrong with this picture. Any thoughts? Al. xat@inel.gov

*** Reply to note of 12/12/95 06:43