Sr-90

     I am interested in the surface contamination release limits used for
     Sr-90 in mixed fission product (MFP).

     NRC Reg Guide 1.86 gives a lower release limit for Sr-90 then other
     beta-gamma emitters.  The DOE Rad Con Manual says that the higher
     criteria may be used when the Sr-90 is contained in MFP.  DOE 5400.5
     and 10 CFR 835 both indicate that the lower limit must be used when
     the Sr-90 is enriched.

     No guidance is given on how much MFP must be present to be able to use
     the higher limit or on what is enriched.  I believe enriched only
     applies to isotopic enrichment i.e. Sr-90 ratio to other strontium
     isotopes such as Sr-89 but many people believe it applies to an
     increase in concentration.  Their logic is that the intent of the
     lower limit is for when you have a lot of Sr-90 in relation to other
     MFP.

     I am interested in knowing what other facilities have used as their
     technical basis on this.  How much Sr-90 to MFP do you allow and still
     use the higher limit?  What is your definition of enriched Sr-90?

     My phone number is (509) 376-8124 and
     my e:mail is David_B_Dave_Ottley@Rl.Gov
     Merry Christmas and a Standard Disclaimer