Laser inspections

To: RADSAFE --INTERNET radsafe@romulus.eh

*** Resending note of 12/21/95 14:19

I just can't agree with Don J. on the need for equipment. I've been inspecting
 lasers for years and have not found a need for equipment. Why take a chance
and start measuring hazardous lasers? They are hazardous unless they are class
1. Further the degree of hazard increases with the classification. The
classification is based upon power/energy levels that if the user of the laser
doesn't know what they are - then you got a problem. Some people think you
are not doing a proper survey unless you measure the light (radiation) -
poppycock!Don't get me wrong if I had a budget for equipment I'd love to
have all the expensive toys to play with but if you are not doing research -
 or if you are not there to supply power and energy etc. information to people
that have lasers but don't know their output then you don't need equipment to
 operate a laser inspection program.

Radiation Protection, Ministry of Health, British Columbia
The opinions and material above are solely those of the author.
This is a disclaimer for postings to bulletin boards, newsgroups
etc., on the internet.  Randy Ross, rnross@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca