Subject: Re: Wall Effect on metals in solution
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet
Date:    1/5/96 3:18 PM

I talked with our HTRW chemists and their report is that the Wall effect is
alive and well.  Metals will oxidize on the surface of glass and precipitate
on polyethylene.  Metals, (Uranium and Plutonium) are generally more soluble
in acidic solutions so lowering the pH will help keep them in solution.
Salts will have a maybe and maybe not effect. (I'm just quoting that)
The time for acidification should be when the sample is initially procured.
Holding the sample for 15 days will generally csuse plate out if it is going
to happen.
Our chemists felt that if the sample is for determining regulatory compliance,
It shouldn't be acceptable, but that in the pCi/L range that most of the
samples are measured in, the plate out would probably not exceed 10% of the

sample value, which will probably be within the margin of error for the
measurement.
My interpretation of what they said is that the reading is in the ballpark
even including wall effect for most the stuff i deal with, but its not what
I would want to present to a regulator to sign off that the water is clean
enough for free release, if I am anywhere above background.
Luke McCormick c0etxlim@mrd42.mrd.usace.army.mil