Re: Linear, no-threshold <hwade@aol.com>

	My paper did not claim or even suggest that radon is protective
against lung cancer. It clearly states that an ecological study cannot
determine causation, and no claims were made about whether radon causes
or does not cause lung cancer. The purpose of my paper was to test the
linear-no threshold theory, and I have clearly shown that an ecological
study like mine can do that. Unless someone can point out something wrong
with my paper, he would have to conclude that the theory fails badly in
the exposure region below 4 pCi/L by grossly overestimating the cancer risk.
	One thing I like about Strom's note is that he finally comes out
with a specific objection to my paper, giving me a chance to respond. He
raises the issue that the measurements were made after the cancer deaths
occurred. This, of course, is a real problem with the case-control
studies that Strom thinks so highly of. But it is much less of a problem
with my studies, which require only that the average radon levels in a
county measured in different time periods are strongly correlated. Since
radon levels are determined by geology and house construction
characteristics, this is certainly a highly plausible assumption,
especially when applied to a very large number of counties from all over
the US; this de-emphasizes problems with unusual circumstances. Also we
have done extensive studies of variation of radon levels with age of the
house.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh