Re: Linear, no-threshold <hwade@aol.com>

 He raises the issue that the measurements were made after the cancer deaths
>occurred. This, of course, is a real problem with the case-control
>studies that Strom thinks so highly of. But it is much less of a problem
>with my studies, which require only that the average radon levels in a
>county measured in different time periods are strongly correlated.

A question, then, about the time dependence (if any) for indoor radon
concentrations: The oil embargo in the 1973-74 time frame and the increase
in home heating/cooling costs resulted in a substantial interest in improved
home insulation. Changes were made in many homes (perhaps a majority of
homes?) ranging from door or window weather-stripping to full wall and
celing insulation. It seems (at an intuitive level) that indoor radon levels
in the 50's, 60's, and early 70's would have been lower than in the 80's.
This has the potential to lead the observer to compare cancer rates from a
lower radon exposure period to radon concentrations made higher in response
to increased energy costs. Has this potential discontinuity been addressed?

BTW, I am one of those doubting the LNT model.
Bob Flood
Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.
(415) 926-3793
bflood@slac.stanford.edu