Re: Lead Aprons

>>   This is my opinion.  If there is a hole in any lead apron, the apron
>>   is replaced.  Understanding that 0.1mm would not increase the dose
>>   received by the individual wearing the apron...It is the preception
>>   that the apron has loss its intergity and will continue to do so in
>>   time.  When we noted loss of shielding in lead aprons, the aprons were
>>   replaced..mike coogen

My experience would suggest otherwise.  I would call a hole 1 mm and less
(yes 1.0) pin holes.  They certainly do not substantially effect the overall
protection provided.  By far MOST such flaws I have seen have been in the
apron since it was new!  But even when inflicted by external agents - I have
never seen a "pinhole" grow or lead to further deterioration.

As I mentioned before - it is the cracks that grow and indicate continuing
degradation.  And these are ALWAYS due to poor storage.  HANG your aprons
and they are good for an EASY 20 years!  I know where there are some aprons
that were a few years old when I first saw them and they are still fine 28
years later!!  But they were ALWAYS hung from wide hangers when not in use.

BTW - when fluoroing aprons with names monogramed on them ...... checked for
attached dosimeter badges too!