Re: Finger Dosimetry

I train people to wear the ring under the glove with the active element
on the palm side.  This gives the ring some protection from
contamination, and provides the same shielding from low energy betas
that the skin has.  After all, we are trying to measure beta dose to the
skin, not dose to the ring.  Geometry for my users is usually best this
way as they are holding vials, tubes, etc.

>From a comfort standpoint, wearing the ring (if a split plastic design
like Landuaer has) this way tends to cause less skin pinching.
Finially, wearing under the glove(s) makes it less likely the ring will
be lost or misplaced when removing the glove(s).  We exchange monthly or
quarterly, depending on the isotope and amounts used.  This may be
specifc for biological research uses; power plants might have different
requirements.

Regards,

John

John Zummo, RSO