Re: Finger Dosimetry

     1. The frequency of the read should be based upon the expected rate of
     dose accumulation and recommedations of the manufacturer due the types
     of fields your personnel are exposed to.  Look at LLDs/reportable
     levels as well.  Different materials are available based on your type
     of fields.  Some values for minimum reportability for finger ring
     dosimeters might be in the order of 30 mrem for x and gamma rays and
     40 mrem for energetic betas.  Readings may be skewed if the exposure
     is from low energy X-rays and beta particles instead of gamma rays.
     You may need correction factors as determined by the vender based on
     evaluations of your radiation fields.  Landauer is our current vendor
     and should be able to provide technical assistance (708-755-7016).

     2.a)  The ring should be worn directly against the skin, irregardless
     of the covering material.

     2.b)  At a nuclear power plant, workers are generally working with
     larger items, so general placement on the best fitting finger with the
     sensitive area palm-side down is entirely appropriate.

     3)  Rings worn under protective gloves seem to work out pretty well.
     Every once in a while the ring may need a wipe down or the element may
     need to be taken out of the ring due to contamination in the cracks
     where the element is inset into the ring.  Gross contamination is
     found probably <2-3% of all issuances when personnel are frisking out
     of the immediate work area, and a more sensitive check with our NaI
     tool monitor sometimes catches a couple when they are remove from the
     radiologically posted area for shipment to the processing vendor.

     4)  As far as regulatory positions, I don't have a specific one to
     come to mind and don't have a lot of time to research, but you may be
     able to draw some inferences from the following documents:

     INPO 91-014, "Guidelines for Rad Prot. at Nuclear Power Plants."

     NRC IE notice 83-59, "Dose Assessment for Workers in Non-Uniform
     Fields."

     INPO REN/OEN-01, "Dosimetry Placement for Steam Generator Workers."

     Various NRC HP Position papers should exist.

     A rough idea might be to compare general exposure rate information at
     contact and 12 inches (30 cm) to get a feel for approximate extremity
     to whole body ratios.  Decide on some ratio of WB/extremity such that
     worker would not exceed say 1% of SDE limit based upon the workers
     annual dose.  Apply that generic annual ratio back to specific job
     cases to determine which specific work tasks would require finger
     rings and which would not.  This might work as some sort of basis at a
     nuclear power plant where the work activities are very diverse.  A
     lab-type facility where the fields are short-ranged and/or
     sources/beakers being handled by the hand often might require blanket
     issuance of finger rings to all lab personnel.

     We have our own specific criteria, but it would probably be better to
     develop your own based upon some of the information sources listed
     above.

     I would also be glad to entertain thoughts from some of our older and
     wiser HP brethren on the subject

     Glen Vickers
     Health Physicist, Nuclear Power Generation
     815-458-2801 ext. 2792
     BRZGV@ccmail.ceco.com