LNT/Radon "Debate"

     I give you the following snippet of a quote from Dr. Cohen's
     note on the LNT/Radon "debate".

     """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
        Please be assured that there is nothing personal in my
     disagreements with Dan Strom. We have always been, and continue to be
     good friends. ......
        What Strom and other objectors seem to be saying is ......
     I would call what these people are doing simply "name calling" which
     is a very childish behavior.

     """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
     As an objective observer, I have a couple of comments on the debate.

     Firstly, I respect the work of both gentlemen and am continuing to
     assess my own views on the ongoing LNT debate. The words of these
     gentlemen obviously have impact on that thought process.

     However, regarding the quoted snippet of a RADSAFE post above.

     1. Is Dr. Cohen's opening remark consistent with his closing remark ?
     Personally, I think not.

     2. Emotional statements of these kind should be excluded from
     scientific debate at all costs whether they seem justified or not
     because :
     -They detract from the issue at hand and tend to "get one's back up".
     -They make the reader/listener wonder about the author's objectivity.

     I guess this is why a journal may be a more "objective" medium than
     RADSAFE for serious debate as, I would assume, that any emotional
     statements would be "filtered out".

     Sorry, Professor Cohen, not meaning to single you out, but I couldn't
     help commenting on this subject.
     I am actually leaning towards your side in this debate.

     James Presley
     Health Physicist
     jpresley@synapse.net