Exempt Quantities

 Bill Lipton raises the question of "free release or unregulated disposal"
of exempt quantities.

I assume that these "quantities" are considered Low Level Radioactive
Waste.  I once disposed of a check source which was a mercury compound and
found myself in the never-never land of "mixed waste".

These items may be below regulatory concern but it would appear that they
can still stick to you like fly paper.

In broad terms what are the regulations that control LLWR and mixed waste.

Thanks

Carl

The standard disclaimers apply to the above!

Carl A. Peterson                          Schlumberger-Doll Research
  e-mail:Peterson@ridgefield.sdr.slb.com    Old Quarry Road
  Phone: (203)431-5272                      Ridgefield, CT  06877-4108
  Fax:   (203)438-3819