HAPPY CENTENNIAL TO THE DISCOVERY OF RADIOACTIVITY

Dear Friends, We heard a lot last year about the centennial of the
discovery of x-rays. It seems appropriate to note the centennial of the
discovery of radioactivity this month. Members of radsafe might consider
sending a letter to their local newspapers pointing out the wonderful
benefits of radioactivity. If you need some ideas I will gladly e-mail you
a copy of my letter to the Editor of the New York Times Week in Review. I
commented on their short article "LOGS THAT GLOW IN THE DARK?" describing
the proposed use of gamma rays to sterilize Russian logs for export to the
US. Not surprising some environmentalists are upset. My letter is too long
to put on radsafe. It is also too long for the average "letter to the
editor"  I find that the Gainesville Sun often uses my contributions as an
article.  Don't forget to address your request to
jrcamero@facstaff.wisc.edu. John
John R. Cameron 2678 SW 14th Drive, Gainesville, FL 32608-2050
phone: 352/371-9865; fax 352/371-9866  e-mail: jrcamero@facstaff.wisc.edu