Re: Interstate commerce - Ignorance of the Law

Joyce Davis wrote:

> "Interstate Commerce " is a legal term of art.  It has been construed
> by courts in different contexts.  For guidance in a specific context
> check with your lawyer.  (Most legal questions have  no simple
> answer, and the answer may not seem very logical either.)
> J.P. Davis
> joyced@dnfsb.gov

I know that this might not help anyone, but the phrase "ignorance of the
law is no excuse" can only be applicable when the laws are simple and
made manifest.  I am getting a little fed up with the fact that, in a
room of legal "experts," one cannot get concensus on what simple terms
mean.  Going back to Hammurabi, he knew that you cannot expect compliance
from the citizenry if laws were not simple and made manifest.  On the
other end, look at the U.S. tax code (no more proof in pudding
needed), and what is the compliance rate?  If we start demanding that
laws are simple and made manifest from our politicians, we would not be
debating what simple legal terms mean.  Fortunately in the U.S., we are
not only citizens, but voters.

Robert A. Jones
RAJ6582@ACS.TAMU.edu