Radiological Environment in Ukraine, Kiev, Etc.

I have been asked to find some information about the ambient dose rates one
might encounter traveling in the Ukraine and particularly in Kiev (this
involves a prolonged stay). Also, there is interest in radioactive material
in the food supply from the region - is it advisable to consume the food at
all (no comments on the cooking, please), or are there specific foods to
avoid because they concentrate radioactive materials?

I would appreciate replies with personal knowledge and with references for
additional reading.

Thanks.
Bob Flood
Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.
(415) 926-3793
bflood@slac.stanford.edu