Re: Biohazard from urine bioassay samples

Hi Jamie:

I think you are right. I would agree with you that the level of control what
you described is not warranted for the sample handling activities of the
urine samples which you have stated. However, one must be concerned about the
potential biohazard condition which may arise due to an accidental spill.

We are a radiochemistry lab and provide radiobioassay services. We store and
handle urine samples or any sample in a controlled area i.e., the
radiochemistry lab area. Our sample receiving area is not a controlled area.
The precautionary steps for receiving/handling biological samples are
strictly controled and adhered to through operating procedures.

Hermon Rao
Lab Director
Nuclear Technology Services, Inc.
770-663-0711